The Eco Business Centre, Bicester
All the Kier team assigned to the project have been focused on delivering quality. This is evident in the collaborative approach enjoyed in project team meetings."
Jonathan MacWilliam | Cherwell District Council
The Eco Towns Planning Policy Statement (PPS) identified NW Bicester as one of four Eco towns to be developed nationally in 2009.
The land at NW Bicester was identified as a strategic allocation in the emerging Cherwell Local Plan and Bicester Masterplan.
The aim of the project was to deliver a facility appropriate to support the creation of jobs within the eco-development and accommodate business start-ups and small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) as part of the economic strategy supporting NW Bicester’s Eco-Town exemplar phase.
The key criteria for the Eco Business Centre is to delivery:
- Employment space for between 110 and 140 jobs
- Managed space for start-up businesses focused on innovation and the emerging low-carbon economy
- Provision for business support/coaching/mentoring and advice
- A highly sustainable zero carbon building (BREEAM Excellent) using best practice methods of construction and ecodevelopment worthy
- A focal point for the development and integral part of the local centre
- A hub for homeworkers and visitors to the site
- Facilities for the local community and entrepreneurs to support the emerging green economy
- Superfast broadband
There were considerable challenges to navigate in order to achieve Passivhaus Plus along with the BREEAM excellent certification and The Eco Business Centre is the first non-residential building to be awarded both.
Local labour within 40 miles
Local spend within 40 miles
Social value generated on every £ spent
Related Case Studies
Lister Learning and Teaching Centre
With an urgent need for additional teaching space due to increased number of students, the...
Lichfield Street Hub, Walsall
Refurbishment to transform the Lichfield St. Central Library building to create a central hub,...
Access our frameworks
Request an Access Agreement
The Access Agreement allows you to use any current or future framework, it only needs to be signed once and it carries no cost.
Together, we can bring your project to life.